Drawn from diverse walks of life but bound together by their drive to excel, they beat the odds as stand out professionals in their chosen careers. They are phenomenal women who represent some of the brightest & most creative minds of our time. Breaking barriers & climbing to new heights- they are successful women indeed.
1. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala : She is a globally renowned economist & the current minister of finance, she briefly held the position of foreign minister & was a managing director of World bank. She was educated at international school Ibadan, Harvard University & Massachussets Institute of Technology.
2. Obiageli Ezekwesili : The Co-founder of transparency international is a chartered accountant who trained with Deloitte & Touche. She held the position of vice president of World bank’s Africa region. She holds a masters degree in international law & diplomacy from the University of Lagos, master of Public administration degree from the Kennedy school of government, Harvard University & worked at the Centre for international development at Harvard.
3. Bola Adesola : A banker & lawyer by profession, she is the CEO of Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria Ltd. She previously worked with Citibank & is the winner of the outstanding women in business category at the African business awards 2013.
4. Joke Silva : The multi-talented, actress & movie director boasts an acting career spanning decades. The versatile & multiple award winning screen goddess is a household name in the African movie industry. She holds a degree in English from the University of Lagos & studied drama at the Webber Douglas academy of dramatic art.
5. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie : born on the 15th of September 1977, she is a globally renowned novelist & short story writer. The critically acclaimed author in African literature boasts award winning novels like half of a yellow sun, purple hibiscus & Americanah. She holds a masters degree in creative writing from John Hopkins University & a masters of Arts degree in African studies from Yale University.
6. Nike Ogunlesi : She is the CEO of Ruff ‘n’ tumble, a highly successful children clothing company with stores across the country & a retailing reach that spans the West African Coast. She sits on the list of ‘Nigerian women with vision’, a Tiffany Amber Campaign celebrating Nigerian women who lead the pack in innovation & development in their chosen careers. She has come a long way from selling out of the boot of her car to running a chain of stores with fifty employees.
7. Folake Folarin Coker : The globally recognized & critically acclaimed designer launched Tiffany Amber, her luxurious fashion line which is one of Africa’s leading fashion labels in November 1998. She is the first African based designer to showcase for two consecutive seasons at the New York fashion week. She has won several awards including the designer of the year in 2009 at the African fashion international awards in South Africa. She launched the ‘Nigerian women with vision’ campaign in partnership with Diamond bank.
8. Tara Fela Durotoye : The founder of ‘house of Tara’ a beauty & skincare consulting firm, she was nominated as a young global leader by the World Economic Forum (WEF). With 17 makeup schools across the country, Tara is set to achieve her dream of becoming a household name in the beauty & skincare industry.recently featured on CNN’s African voices.
9. Ola Orekunrin : As an helicopter pilot with specialized training in aviation medicine Ola Pioneered the first air operated emergency medical services in Lagos, Nigeria. She is the Medical director/ managing director at the flying doctors, that provides urgent helicopter, airplane ambulance evacuation services for critically injured people. She was namedva young global leader in 2013 by the World Economic Forum (WEF). she graduated from Hull York medical school at the age of 21 making her one of the youngest medical doctors in the UK. She worked for ten years with the National Health Service (NHS) UK and is a member of both the British Medical association & the American academy of aesthetic surgeons.
10. Mosunmola Abudu : she is a talkshow host, TV producer media personality, human resource management consultant & entrepreneur. She holds a masters degree in human resource management from University of Westminster, London. She is the executive producer & host of ‘moments with Mo’ her hugely popular TV show that sees her interviewing high profile guests & addressing a wide range of issues. ‘Moments with Mo’ Is the first syndicated daily talk show on African regional TV with coverage in 48 African countries. She launched ebonylife TV in 2013.